Get your free copy of Faith and Freedom and sign up for our email updates.
Why Faith and Freedom?
Donate to The Institute
As part of Grove City College, the Institute does not receive one dime of federal funding. We rely upon the generous support of individuals, foundations and businesses to promote the principles of faith and freedom to the next generation of American leaders. We invite you to partner with us by making a gift today.
Interested in learning more about supporting the Institute through your estate or a planned gift? Click here.
Student Fellows – Our Future Leaders
Meet Our Student Fellows
The Institute for Faith & Freedom
America is exceptional because its foundation rests on the principles of faith, freedom, and truth. At the Institute for Faith & Freedom at Grove City College, we seek to pass on these values to the next generation of American leaders through a dynamic learning community that connects, educates, and empowers American citizens. We cultivate purposeful and principled leaders who are eager to serve the common good.
We know that true freedom depends on virtue. Despite rising secularism, moral relativism, and a host of other concerning realities, there is hope for cultural renewal. There is hope because we’ve had a robust commitment to faith and freedom in this nation before. It is the very foundation upon which our great nation was established. And faith and freedom is the very foundation upon which Grove City College was founded. In keeping with the tradition and mission of the College since its founding in 1876, the Institute pursues its work by publishing the work of its scholars, offering annual fellowships and other learning opportunities to College undergraduates, convening an annual conference and lecture series, and hosting several regional events.
Our mission is to teach the principles of Faith and Freedom to the next generation of American leaders and to promote these principles to the wider world.
Faith, freedom, and virtue are public goods and they require public expression. Here lies the difference between our approach to the pursuit of personal, political, economic, and religious freedom and the reigning viewpoint in higher education. We believe that these fundamental ideas and pursuits are the only sure foundation for the cultivation of virtue. Knowledge, even when acquired in the classroom, isn’t meant to stay there. It’s meant to cultivate better habits, firmer faith, and better witness in our workplaces, communities, and civic centers. Faith, freedom, and virtue define a flourishing nation, and we must do everything we can to advance them in the next generation of this nation’s leaders.
At the Institute for Faith & Freedom, we view a love for truth and a love for liberty as inseparable allies. Liberty cannot long flourish in the absence of truth, and the truth is not affirmed where liberty is denied. In fact, America’s extraordinary achievement lies in the essential combination of both truth and liberty. Our love for liberty reflects a historic affirmation of truth in our founding documents and in our laws. Consequently, understanding the relationship between God’s truth and our freedom is not merely an academic exercise, but a vital privilege of Christian stewardship.
So, how do we do this?
Currently, at the Institute for Faith & Freedom, we have multiple existing programs in order to be the leading forum for the study and application of faith and freedom:
- Publishing Scholarly Commentary Utilizing the expertise of Grove City College faculty and nationally known experts, the Institute publishes hundreds of opinion and editorial pieces for leading newspapers and online sites and across the country.
- Student Fellowships Each year, 12 top students from Grove City College are selected to serve as Student Fellows to assist the work of our scholars and the Institute with research, writing, marketing, and administrative duties. Student Fellows are also afforded customized educational opportunities throughout the year which advance their understanding of faith and freedom for the common good.
- Conferences, Lectures and Events The Institute hosts several events each year, including an Annual Conference, an Annual Ronald Reagan Lecture, and quarterly luncheons in the region. The Institute also hosts smaller dinners and gatherings throughout the country.
Though we have had important success over the past decade and a half, we plan to grow the influence of the Institute and Grove City College to a national audience. Here is how:
- Washington D.C. Expansion Given the Institute’s unique position within higher education today, and the unique perspective that our students and scholars have, we believe our country needs to benefit from this more than ever. We plan to host a series of lectures and events, train Grove City college interns, network with College alumni, and eventually be a beacon of faith and freedom in our nation’s capital.
- Enlist More Scholars Numerous national scholars would very much like to affiliate with the Institute as a place from which they can do their writing and speaking. We will expand the number of Visiting Scholars who advance our work.
- Reach More Students We currently reach approximately 35% of the Grove City College student body with some part of the Institute’s programming. We will increase that to 50% of the student population in the next few years.
- Market Our Work We will make more strategic use of podcasts, online lectures and videos, and social media to expand our work. We believe there are thousands of fellow “faith and freedom” allies out there, and we want to enlist their support to help.
Nearly 140 years after its founding, Grove City College remains true to the vision of its founders a commitment to Christian truth, morality, and freedom. Grove City College can remain true to this vision because it deliberately eschews all federal funding and oversight, thus maintaining its independence. It remains a unique place in American higher education, upholding the American pillars of faith and freedom and the Institute is proud to be part of this institution.
Through its existing programs, and its vision for the future, the Institute for Faith & Freedom at Grove City College continues this mission of faith and freedom for the next generation. Our work is only beginning. As the Institute grows, so do our aspirations. We aim to inspire the next generation with a strong foundation in faith, freedom, virtue, and truth. Our goals, however, cannot be met without friends like you. We invite you to explore our scholarship, attend an upcoming discussion, or invest financially in our essential work.