In March 1993, Vision & Values, Vol. 1, No. 1 made its appearance. This endeavor was edited by Dr. John Sparks ’66, retired dean of the Alva J. Calderwood School of Arts & Letters at Grove City College, and supported by the College’s Alumni Association under the then leadership of William J. Mehaffey ’64—who is now a GCC Trustee.
The publication carried a talk delivered on campus by educational commentator Dr. Chester E. Finn, Jr. titled: What Ails American Higher Education?
According to Sparks, “It was fitting that Grove City College should make this its first issue because the College had avoided the morass into which much of higher education had fallen and which Dr. Finn so eloquently enumerated.”
In the publication Finn says, “I commend Grove City College for having the strength of character to swim against the tide … You have demonstrated by the choices you have made, the priorities you have set, the curriculum that you have shaped, the budget that you have balanced, the faculty you have hired and the students you have admitted that so much of what is wrong with American higher education today does not have to be the way it is.”
As true today as it was 25 years ago, from the masthead: “To an expectant world weary of the corrosive ideas of relativism and secularism, to a world daring to hope for new light and liberty, Grove City College offers a responsible voice of reason, faith and freedom.”
- 2019 Message from The Center for Vision & Values - January 17, 2019
- Center for Vision & Values joins Excellence network - December 7, 2018
- The remarkable story of an American hero: Frank Kravetz - November 8, 2018
- Grant will Fund Outreach Effort to Rural Pastors - October 19, 2018
- 25 Years Later: Volume 1, Number 1 of “Vision & Values” - March 22, 2018
- The Center for Vision & Values Presents: Top 10 of 2017 - December 27, 2017
- R.C. Sproul’s Lasting Influence and Profound Wisdom: A Grove City College Tribute - December 18, 2017
- The Law and the “Profits” - December 15, 2017
- Remembering Michael Cromartie — Red God, Blue God: Is there a God Gap Between the Parties? - August 29, 2017
- Dr. Paul Kengor on “The Mark Levin Show” - July 13, 2017